- This event has passed.
Grafting fruit trees in the home garden
22 September 2019 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm$50.00 – $65.00
Presented by Dr Jasmine Ventura
Sunday 22 September 2019 | 12.00pm –4.00pm
SAGE Garden, 110 Queen Street, Moruya
Have you ever wanted to try grafting but not sure where to start? In this useful workshop you will learn how to graft, watch a grafting enthusiast, get hands-on experience grafting your own trees, and even graft multiple types of fruit to the one tree! You’ll discover the tips that make grafting simple with a few tools.
This workshop is designed for the home gardener and topics will include how to graft an array of heritage and rare fruit trees to help preserve fruit tree diversity, how to graft multiple fruits to the one tree, how to graft additional varieties onto your existing trees at home, and how to graft for specific purposes such as espalier.
Workshop presenter Dr Jasmine Ventura is a fruit tree and grafting enthusiast with a passion for all things “fruit tree”, and a flourishing home orchard with over 100 fruit trees!
The workshop will cover:
- Theory session – outlining the fundamental concepts and techniques of grafting for the home gardener,
- “Tools of the trade” – brief overview of the few important tools needed for grafting, plus care and maintenance/sharpening of these tools,
- Practical Demonstration – Comprehensive demonstration of the core grafting skills,
- “Hands on” practice session – participants practice the various grafting skills and techniques they have been introduced to,
- ‘Hands on’ Grafting session – participants put their new skills into practice by grafting an array of ‘scion’ onto ‘rootstock’ that will all be available on the day!
The focus will be on grafting heritage and rare fruit trees. Participants can choose to graft one or more varieties during the workshop or can take home scion to graft onto their trees at home.
COST: $50 (SAGE Member) – $65 (Non-SAGE Member)
Fee includes afternoon tea (prepared with local seasonal produce), printed notes and a root stock.
To become a SAGE member go to sageproject.org.au/join/
CONTACT: Sandra Makdessi SAGE Education Officer
email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0439 032 038
RSVP by Thursday 19 September 2019