SAGE Executive Meeting — 12 May, 2010

Present: Stuart Scobie, Walter Kohler, Janet Kohler-Bond, Stuart Whitelaw, Michael Hulse, Penny Cook

Apologies: Fraser Bayley

Prior to the meeting SS introduced Barry Brears and Neville Baker who have come to talk about farmers’ markets. Neville talked about Can Assist and their interest in being the marketing agents for the Eurobodalla Farmers’ Markets to raise funds for the organisation. There was discussion about the lack of growers and SS will give them some contact details of people who may be able to assist. Barry and Neville then left the meeting.

1. The minutes of the previous meeting were accepted by Stuart Whitelaw, seconded Michael Hulse. Carried.

There were no matters arising.

2. Financial report – Janet gave a summary of our finances showing a balance of $1638 in the bank.

SS tabled a spreadsheet of the grant monies available and what has already been spent.

He has received a quote from Harrison’s for a 22,000 litre water tank for $2730. It was agreed that the tank should be purchased.

SS tabled a quote from Clay Stafford for a solar bore pump – $400. It was decided to postpone this decision until we know how we will proceed with the bore. We are awaiting information from Lachlan Bain about what we need to do with the water to make it useable.

SS tabled a quote from Cameron’s Hardware for tools – $900. It was agreed that Walter and Janet should investigate buying two wheelbarrows if suitable, and that we should have a tool drive amongst members to see what we can gather before purchasing new equipment.

3. Belinda Bain’s matters – it was agreed to purchase a load of sawdust for $60. SS will try to have this delivered to the block before Sunday’s working bee. Regarding Belinda’s comments about the allotments, there is space for three more then this will be reviewed. Members agreed that the main purpose of SAGE should always remain as an education facility. PC will email Belinda to thank her for her comments.

4. Working bee and education spot – supervision of jobs was allocated to various members. The main emphasis is to be on cutting back the green manure and preparing beds for seedlings which will be ready in a couple of weeks. Other jobs will include more work on the shed, sawdust on the paths, covers for white butterfly control, installing the water tank, painting the chalkboard and burning off the pile of rubbish. Walter agreed to conduct an education spot on the bugs in the orchard and how to deal with them.

5. Status of treated effluent project – SS advised he and SW met with Harvey Lane from council to discuss the process. He has spoken to NSW Water who say we can use the treated water as is in wicked gardens. Both Stuarts and MH will be meeting with Jim Olive tomorrow at the block to brainstorm what can be done about setting up a pilot project for the concept.

6. Tools purchasing – see Item 2 above.

7. Pump and tank/irrigation status – see Item 2 above.

8. Allotments status – Walter is happy with progress and people seem to be really enjoying their gardens.

9. Volunteer coordinator – SS has sent the job description and selection criteria to Chris Gandy at Campbell Page for suggestions and hopefully some assistance.

10. Program for November field day – held over until next meeting.

11. River Feast – held over until next meeting.

12. Farmers’ markets – see above.

13. Sustain article – SW will write a 500 page article for the next edition.

14. Record keeping – PC to email Kate Raymond for progress report.

15. AGM – a reminder that this is coming up in August.

Other business 

SW has received an email from Robyn Goodsell of the Cobowra Aboriginal Lands Council regarding the possibility of a joint project with them for planting native bush trees and native bush foods. SW will organise a meeting to discuss.

Meeting closed at 6.30 p.m.